Reynolds knew Alda from his theater work in New York.

"Reynolds knew Alda from his theater work in New York.

He never asked him to test for the role because he truly believed he had found Hawkeye. Reynolds: He was attractive, a leading man and wonderfully comedic actor who could play the sober moments. There’s not a lot of guys like that floating around. Alda: I was making a movie in the Utah state prison. M*A*S*H was by far the best script I’d ever read in prison. I said to my wife, Arlene, “I can’t do it because it’s going to be made in California and we live in New Jersey. Who knows, this thing could run a whole year.” Reassured of the show’s intentions, Alda signed on as Hawkeye. Gelbart envisioned the role as an endearing jokester who uses humor to combat the insanity of war. Alda’s take on him rounded him out even more. Swit: Alan’s approach to Hawkeye was a large child looking for companionship, a hug and a squeeze. His flirting was all talk and never predatory. Reynolds: He voiced early on that we shouldn’t be like “billy goats,” where the women are always at the doctor’s disposal. Guys could be fresh, but you’d never see them sexually using their authority. Walter Dishell (medical consultant): He wanted to know how you feel when you tell someone they’re going to take their leg off or die. He cared about how Hawkeye would act in these situations. “If I can’t stop the bleeding, what’s going through my head?” Wilcox: Alan was brilliant at finding a way to play a scene so that he wasn’t directly in it. If he had an exposition in the mess tent, he spent the whole time studying his food. He’d pick up a fork, sniff at it and put it back down, meanwhile participating in the conversation. Burghoff: I never worked with anyone so completely dedicated to a project. His creative energy was endless. Jeff Maxwell (Igor Stravinsky): I remember his doing the “River of Liver” speech (above). I never expected him to dance on the table. I asked him afterward if he planned that and he said he hadn’t. No one else could do that."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please i need advice on this, post for me I am married with 2 kids ,

After 37 years of marriage.

The WW1 Sexual Liberation.

Meet Lisa Spark, the Woman Who Broke World Record For Sleeping With 919 Men In 12 hours

Many Westerners know about the horrors that have happened on their side of the world throughout history.

Since its rediscovery in 1912, experts have been trying to decode the Voynich manuscript,

In the 1800s, Scottish surgeon Robert Liston became infamous for a surgery that led to an astonishing 300% mortality rate,

"CUPPING" IN AFRICAN TRADITIONAL MEDICINE DATES BACK TO 2200 BC

Please i need advice on this, post for me I am married with 2 kids ,

The biggest cover up and never hardly talked about issue in slavery was the rape and torture of black men.